Sunday, July 6, 2008

July 6, 2008

Our trip is definitely winding down. Our final days in Shanghai are memorable. Jim, Kimmie and I agree we could live here, IF we spoke the language. It a very modern city, and the Chinese culture is ever present.

A yummy bakery is close to our hotel with delectable treats. We wanted some ice cream, but it cost $7 US, and unanimously declined, as it contributed to global warming. How? It is Swiss ice cream, so the cost to keep it refrigerated and ship it here is enormous. We opted for outrageously yummy cookies, 10 for $1. A better and more globally conscious choice.

I have lost around 10 pounds on this trip. I don’t know why. The girls have lost about 2 pounds. May be it is the snacking I haven’t done (processed food) or the nature of so many vegetables with the meals. Walking a lot probably has something to do with it, as well as all the bargaining I have done.

Today it is 104 degrees. Very high humidity. Pollution is every present here- As we walked The Bund, (also called the Zhongshan Road, is a famous waterfront and regarded as the symbol of Shanghai for hundreds of years) the waste and color in the river didn’t escape us. The Bund was the center of Shanghai's politics, economy and culture hundreds of years ago, consulates of most countries and many banks, businesses and newspaper offices were settled there, and that's why there are art-like buildings. Although they were not designed by the same person or built in the same period, the architectural pattern is similar. It was incredibly hot, as we walked The Bund even thought it was late morning, and we opted not to walk the entire length.

Last night we had the good fortune to meet Jeff, Amy’s fiancĂ©. Jim was not feeling too well (he drank OJ at the hotel), and didn’t join us. Amy and Jeff took the girls and I to a Chinese Tex Mex restaurant. It was actually pretty good and reminded me how much I miss my favorite food. Amy was cute, snuggling next to Jeff. Jeff asked the girls lots of questions about their life, what their favorite food. We learned all about his work at Cox Communications and his plans for Amy to meet his family. Amy thinks she will get her VISA to the US sometime between January – March of next year. I invited them to be house guests when they come to Austin.

Our goodbyes weren’t goodbyes, but see you later, as we met a lifelong friend. She is a treasure.

This has been an incredible journey and I am so glad to have shared this with all of you. Thank you for your emails, chats, and Google Talks. We loved staying connected with all you, and have you been part of this with us. We are looking forward to getting home. We miss you and our pets. I wonder how Fritz will be when he sees me. I wonder if he thinks I will ever come home. Amy decided to get a dog today and we sold her on a poodle.

Next time you hear from me is when I either call you or see.

I love you all so much,
Karen

No comments: