Friday, June 20, 2008

We are here and shopped till we dropped

We had a non eventful flight to Shanghai. A 15 hour flight doesn't seem that long when you eat, watch tv and read the whole time. Kimmie finished a 700 page book, Ali read, played games and watched 4 movies, Margaret and Marguerite did what I did, and Jim had good intentions of getting some work done, but relaxed, read and played games. Getting through customs was easy and our guide Amy was waiting for us.

It was 4:30pm when we got to our hotel, a five star named Huating Hotel, across the street where soccer will be played at the Olympics. ( the only venue here in Shanghai). With good intentions to go exploring and eat out, we all decided to meet in 1 hour. At 8:30 we woke up and decided to bag dinner and we all slept thru the night.

A combo breakfast of Chinese and American satisfied us all and we were off for Shanghai adventures. Yuan gardens was our first stop dating back to the 1500's. It was so hot and humid, Ali lasted an hour wasn't feeling good and Jim was kind enough to offer take her to the hotel. Amy put them in a cab, and we all continued. Next stop pearl shopping, knock off watches. That really made us hungry!!! An authentic Chinese meal ....so good. Even Margaret liked it.

The Shanghai musuem was amazing. Calligraphy, broze displays, Chinese paintings, Porcelin, all dating 500-1500 B.C. Blows your mind thinking how old Chinese histroy begins. Makes the US look so young. 4 floors of Chinese history. We were really tired after that. BUT... found the energy to do some final shopping at the museum shop ( what a surprise).

Amy is extremely knowledgeable about history, facts, dates. Anything you ask her she knows. She specializes in Shanghai history and culture. Shanghai is much more modern that I expected. They are getting rid of the old building replacing with new- everywhere. The architecture is modern and interesting. We have lots of pictures to share with everyone.

Everywhere we went today people were fancinated by Kimmie. Wanted to know if she spoke Mandrian, and explained to me how important it is for her to learn the language. For her bd Jim and I are giving her the Rosetta stone for learning Chinese.

Now we are packing for our trip to see Ali's orphanage. We leave the hotel at 6:30am tomorrow for a 8:30 flight. We arrive in Guangzhou and then get onto the train to Maoming for a 5 hour train ride to Ali's orphangage Maoming SWI. This is the same train ride Margaret and I took to get Ali 10 years ago. Rual China will be very different than the modern city we just experienced. I am anxious to see how Kimmie and Ali respond to the this.

I am not sure when I will be able to blog again, as I Maoming is not as modern as Shanghai and our hotel will not be as nice. In fact, Margaret and I are dreading the hotel, because the "Maoming Mansion" where we stayed was a real dump. I am hoping we have something nicer.

I am finding I am much more relaxed on this trip than any other trip to China. Having this be my 4th time, I am a "expert" bargainer. I got some really good deals today. I was in charge of the doing the negoitations. It was really fun.

All for now, love to all,
Karen

No comments: